Central Africa

Central Africa (CPCA)

The strands that form USPG are matched in the Church of the Province of Central Africa, which draws on both SPG and the Universities’ Mission to Central Africa (UMCA) for its origins. Anglican mission work began in 1861 when Charles Mackenzie, the first UMCA bishop, arrived in Malawi and the SPG connection dates to 1891 when work began in what is now Zimbabwe. Hundreds of missionaries were sent after that, serving in various roles including clergy, teachers, medical staff and episcopal leaders.

The Church of the Province of Central Africa became an autonomous Anglican Province in 1955 and comprises 15 dioceses across Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, and Botswana. The first Archbishop was Edward Paget, the Bishop of Mashonaland.

The CPCA profoundly shaped the emerging identity of USPG following the merger of SPG and UMCA in 1965. Former missionaries and clergy from the province have served on the staff of USPG. Former General Secretary Humphrey Taylor was a missionary in Malawi. The current Archbishop is the Most Revd Albert Chama, also Bishop of Northern Zambia. 

USPG accompanies the province in capacity strengthening, theological education, gender justice by tackling gender-based violence in Zambia, Church and Community Integration in gender and food security in Malawi, and HIV stigma and discrimination reduction in Zimbabwe – working towards an HIV free generation. Mission hospitals tackle diseases such as COVID-19, tuberculosis and malaria. The Provincial Theological College, Bishop Gaul is based in Zimbabwe.

You can watch the CPCA's contributions to our 2021 Communion Day of Prayer below.